Friday, November 26, 2010

My Home for 3 Months

As you know, I have the fortunate to study in UK for 3 months. Even though it was only 3 months I appreciated it and really had fun. The place I studied at was a quiet, peaceful little town called Sheffield (well, not that quiet though). Since I'm not good at geography and stuff, I won't go into details about Sheffield.

So on the 12 on June, I boarded the Emirates at KLIA, had a 3 hours transit at Dubai, and then landed at Manchester Airport after a 17 hours flight. I was so cranky, I didn't slept well the entire journey (fyi, I was sick the day before I flew and was still sick during the flight), my whole body was stiff, the aircraft food kinda sucked and I think I could scare a neighbor's dog. After arriving at Manchester Airport, we were greeted by the school’s…err…student council? I don’t know what are they called. Anyway, we boarded a bus and were on our way to a place where we will be calling home for the next 3 months.

The green scenery on my way to Sheffield.



You won't get this in Malaysia.

I stayed at a place called Charlotte Court, where we all had en-suite rooms. Mine look like this.



Sorry for the mess. Didn’t intend to take pictures of my room so I have only these few pictures to choose from.

Anyway, since I’m like few thousand km away from home, I got home sick. There wasn’t internet connection given to us yet the first few days we arrived, and calling rates are expensive, I felt so lonely and miserable I cried the first night. That feeling is so indescribable. I was at a totally new environment without anyone except my friends, and they had their own problem to deal with so I couldn’t disturb them, so I was all alone and there was nothing I can do. I had nothing to eat when I had just arrived as I dare not go out alone, so I ended up sleeping one whole day (since I arrived during afternoon) with a hungry stomach, until the next day where my friends have settled down and started to explore around to find food and the usual stuff. What an experience.

Okay. Enough of these emotional things.

Some random pictures I took around Sheffield.


A UK taxi.


Some UK’s building structure. I think it's St. Mary Church. Hmmm...


Some painting on the bricks on the wall.


Me at Sheffield Town Hall. So many people just laying around, enjoying the sun. This is what Sheffield people normally do, it's so relaxing!


A carved rock in Winter Garden.


Some wall painting on the streets. Its very 3-D like. Too bad my camera couldn’t capture it. Might be some very talented painter who ran out of paper, so forced to paint on the wall.


A distance view of the Eye of Sheffield.

According to my friends, the Eye of Sheffield has been pulled down. Wow. It means that I’m very very fortunate to have taken pictures of and with it.



Me with the Eye of Sheffield during daytime.



Night view.



A random picture of me with a Kebab.

I couldn’t finish it. The portion was SO BIG! Wait. There’s more. This was supposed to be half of a portion because I was sharing it with one of my friends, and so I asked the waiter to put it in separate boxes. And he even added extra things when separating it. And I got a free Coke. Muahaha. But in the end, I spilled the Coke while walking back home. =.=

For the first few weeks, we were like “kampung” boys and girls, ooo-ing and aah-ing at everything. It was hilarious. But later on we got use to it, the culture, the people there, the buildings and also the weather.

Speaking of weather, what I like about the cold weather is that…



I can layer my clothes. Say awesome to layering.

If I were to wear like this in Malaysia, I’ll be sweating like I just fell into a pool in less than 10 minutes.

Alright, that’s all. Goodbye.

No comments: