Tuesday, May 18, 2010

How to Have A Good Make Up

Well, I won’t say that I’m good at make up or anywhere near perfect, but a decent make up can brighten up your day. You wouldn’t need to be all paranoid by looking at a mirror every 5 minutes to check on your make-up; or feeling all miserable by the end of the day looking like a panda. Now, we don’t want that, would we?

But you still need the skills and a few other elements to get that make up which wouldn’t ruin your day.

Find Your Best Light
The lightning in your room will affect the outcome of your make up.

A fluorescent white light will bring out your imperfections and blemishes. You will end up over concealing and putting too much foundation which thickens your make up. With Malaysia’s weather, you wouldn’t want your make up too thick. Your skin gets oily easily, pores are clogged and blemishes break out is next in the line. Eww.

Of course a yellow light is not a good option either. It will be too dim and your face will be all yellow and you will not know how much make up you have put on. Usually a yellow light makes me put less make up as I can’t really see properly under it. Hotels usually use yellow lights in the toilet or doorway, so I usually have a hard time doing my make up during vacations.

Natural light is of course the best light source for a good make up. What I will do in a hotel is to open the curtains, move a table to the window, pop out a mirror I bought along and get along with my make up. But you can’t get natural light 24hours a day. So the next best alternative is a bulb which gives out a soft and warm white light.

Position of Light
As stated above, a soft and warm light is the preferable lightning to help in a good make up. But the position of the light is also important.

The light should be in front and above the head instead of being in the back or beside or anywhere where else far from you. The reason will be my third point.

Avoid shadows
If a light is placed behind you, a shadow will be cast and the mirror will reflect you slightly darker than you usually are.

If a light is placed beside you, a part of your face will be darker, which will result in an uneven make up. Your blusher might look heavier on one side.

I know it’s arguable to say that you cannot move the light to the right position. If you cannot move the light, bring yourself to the light I say. You can find the right position in your house and pop out a mirror, and get going with your make up, which brings me to my next point.

Mirrors
A 3 by 3 inches mirror is cute and easy to carry around. But you wouldn’t want to do your make up with this mirror unless it’s a touch up, you can only see your nose!

So, the size of a mirror is important. A two sided mirror where one side is a normal mirror and the other side a magnifying mirror is my favorite. With the magnifying side, you can see your pores clearer, who wouldn’t like that. Well, maybe some wouldn't.

The distance between you and mirror is also important. I once stayed in a hotel where the ONLY big mirror available is in the toilet, and it’s behind a WIDE basin. So I practically had to tip-toe, and since being a little short-sighted, I had to squint my eyes to have a clearer view. I wasn’t expecting this so I didn’t bring a mirror with me. By the time I’m done with my make up my toes are so tired. I had to check with the small mirror I bought along to see how my make up looked like. What an experienced.

I think that’s all for my opinion on how to have a good make up. I’m sure some people will say these are common sense. Well, I still like to share it as I find it useful to me. =D

No comments: