Sunday, May 16, 2010

Eyelash Curlers

I’m not sure whether the problem is my poor eyelash curling skill, or the quality of my eyelash curlers, or I have alien eyes, but I can’t seem to curl all of my eyelashes, especially those outer eyelashes. I usually end up clipping on my eyelids or pulling it too hard. I tend to not buy curlers which are over RM30 because for me, I feel that it is not worth investing. It’s a personal opinion so don’t bash me about how worth it is in buying expensive curlers. So obviously I’ve not tried the godly reviewed Shu Uemura eyelash curler.

Photo credits : Shu Uemura

When shopping for curlers, this is what I will normally look into.

1.   Price, price, price!
Since I’m a student, I still depend on my parents in financing issues. If they found out I bought curler which costs RM80 or so, I think they’ll rip my skin off and rub lemon juice all over me. So, this will be the first thing I notice. I will choose a few curlers in affordable ranges then only compare them one by one.

2.   NOT to buy BLACK eyelash curlers
So I saw this pair of stylish black curlers hanging on the shelf and I immediately bought it. I regretted immediately by the time I started using it. You ask why. Your eyelashes are black. The curler is black. You wouldn’t know how much eyelashes you have grabbed and how your curled eyelashes look like. I ended up having eyelash going in different directions. I’m that skill-less! To avoid anything like this, do buy the normal silver color curlers or ones that are anything but black! Unless your eyelashes are white or pink, you may pass this step.

3.   Avoid those with plastic cover in the inner rim
There’s this type of curlers where there will be a plastic cover only in the inner rim of the handle. I guess it’s suppose to give you a firmer grip? But it tends to fall off and I don’t like my things falling apart. You could glue it back, but I guess it’s hard to glue rubber onto metal? So to avoid misery, go for none or those with full plastic or metal handle.

4.   Make sure there’s a spare rubber included
Every eyelash curler has a rubber at the lower part where you curl your lashes, I’m sure every girl knows that. Some curlers include a spare rubber, some don’t. So go for those with spares. It’s advisable to change the rubber when there is a dent, and for the sake of hygiene purpose.

After all the experience I've had with different type of curlers, there’s a thing that I will do with new curlers bought. A new curler head is usually too curved for my eyes, so I always get poked in the eyes at the inner and outer part. So what I do is before using it, I will use a thick book or just a cloth to press the head of the curler to flatten it a little (notice: a LITTLE!). You won’t need help from any other stronger guys because they might be too strong and might over bend the head. You will end up having a flat curler, that’s something I should try one day. After flattened, I can curl my lashes better! Of course, try this first only on a much cheaper curler before going on to expensive ones.

That’s it for my opinion on eyelash curlers. Hope it helps. =D

No comments: